Sunday, January 4, 2009

Diversity in America/Chinese American

   So I am reading this book at Peet's Coffee in Cupertino about the historical diversity of America for seminary. The book is by Vincent Parrillo. One of the surprising statistics that I did not know about was that during the period of 1820-1853 only 88 Chinese immigrants entered the U.S. and in the 19th century about 1/20 were women! It is so weird reading this statistic because I am in Cupertino! I am surrounded by Asian Americans and across from me as I write this is a Chinese woman teaching her white boyfriend Chinese. The book overall is about the diversity that existed among the Native Americans and immigrants over the historical periods of America's foundation. The class is about leadership and diversity. I am noticing that we as different cultures and backgrounds bring so much to the table of diversity in America both in the past and for the future. 
   My parents immigrated to the U.S. in 1967 and I had heard that they were ridiculed and even abused for being Chinese. I can only imagine what that looked like for the 88 who came to America in search of a brighter future. This is not written to rant about how Asians are mistreated but more along the lines of admiration towards the Asian Americans who came before me. Even though they probably ended up working the railroad or laundry jobs they must have dreamed of days like these where a greater Asian American community existed and thrived in America. We are now living their dreams to some extent and I really thank God for making me Chinese American. Let's not forget that there are still immigrants in our midst that experience injustice, hardship and pain for hopes of a better future. I know that for my parents they came for the dreams of their children growing up without need and poverty. And I believe that God made us all wonderfully in His image and likeness with dreams for His children to know why they were so uniquely made...history and all included. 

No comments: