Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Family Traditions

     I noticed that my family really doesn't have that many family traditions when I went home for Thanksgiving. Apparently for 8 years Anna Chang and her family have gone to this one Korean BBQ restaurant in San Francisco and afterward they walk a scripted route at Fisherman's Wharf each year during Thanksgiving. Other families go around the table and say what they are thankful for, and at Christmas some families bring out ornaments that have been passed on from generation to generation. It made me feel like starting something in my family besides my gift exchange idea this year. 
   But then I remembered that I am also partaking in Mesa InterVarsity family traditions. Our group has grown so close that community building is just exponentially multiplying. In God's kingdom there is an importance on repetition and remembrance. Tradition done in the right manner helps us write down God's story. Christmas is a sense of tradition even thought it is sometimes confused for gifts, it is a chance to remember the amazing incarnation of Christ. The world was given hope in the form of a child... how counter culture is that!  
    I hope that we all get to take part in some good traditions during this holiday season not just the "black fridays and cyber mondays" but ones that will leave a deeper impression on our hearts. So carol it up with family and your local church. 

I call Jesus Immanuel 
Isa 7:14 
Matt 1:23

1 comment:

ddhoffman said...

Good reminder to redeem traditions Alan. All too often tradition has a negative connotation to the up and coming powers in charge.