Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The difference in morning

    For me personally and probably a good percentage of the collegiate world, I am not a morning person. It has been difficult to read scripture in the morning or to meditate on God without falling asleep (can I hear an Amen!). Theologically, God is no different in the morning than our evenings. I change as the day progresses but God has probably been showing me who He is throughout my whole day. There is a real sense of loss when you miss out on what God is trying to tell you and what your own body pushes for. This radically different and opposing force of the body and its needs must be disciplined. The motivation for discipline should not be centered around fighting off laziness or to be disciplined. But the motivation should be centered around what God is doing in the morning. 
     I am starting to transform in my own thought about the importance of the morning. I hope this continues to improve for me. This might be normal for some of you, but to the "snoozers" and "night owls" in the world this is a good reminder (especially for myself). There is depth in the morning, great conversations that do not occur at night but in the early morning also. It says so in scripture "But his delight is in the Law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night" Psalm 1:2 
We know that the morning was created for amazing purposes just because of who the creator is. "God called the light 'day', and the darkness 'night'. And there was evening, and there was morning--the first day" Genesis 1:5 Each day is a CREATED day, none of us can create a September 17th but it is only God who calls forth each and every day that we NOW experience. The proper response to this realization and to others like it is simply praise for the Almighty, who in His wisdom and goodness created the days for man so that man would in turn praise Him. 
       Now the crazy part is that Jesus is God. So the same attributes apply because this is the same person. Through the incarnation we now see the actual separation of darkness and light in spiritual form. Jesus as God was creating (came down as) light for human hearts. "In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it" John 1:4-5 Jesus is our new day and this is why we call Him the light of our lives. Not for some "churchy" over used statement, we should understand why Jesus is the light of the world. 

Psalm 118:24
"This is the day that the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

This is the day, This is the day 
This is the day that the Lord hath made, that the Lord hath made
I will rejoice, I will rejoice
and be glad in it, and be glad in it!
This is the day that the Lord hath made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!
This is the day, This is the day 
That the Lord hath made. 
 

2 comments:

ddhoffman said...

"We know that the morning was created for amazing purposes just because of who the creator is."

The expectation and truth in this sentence is super refreshing. Thanks for that. So often I wake up dreading the days tasks, instead of being expectant.

Team China (2K2C) said...

I hear you on that one daniel... reminding myself is a daily exercise.